Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Appetite is Quite Strange

Not even this looks as good as it should :(


Lately, I have had the strangest appetite. Before diabetes, I was always hungry for something or the other, and typically that something (or the other) was a high-fat, sugary (vegan) baked good. At other times, I wanted tacos/pizza/spaghetti/etc., too, but that was a different sort of craving. These cravings of mine stayed with me after my diabetes diagnosis, too... That is, until a week or so ago.

I've been struggling to have a real desire to eat anything put before me. I feel vaguely reminiscent of hungry here and there, and I do force myself to eat this or that, but I don't quite enjoy it or want it. I know I should eat- even right now, I know, I should be eating something- but nothing appeals to me, either physically or mentally. Heck- if a vegan, calorie and carb and fat free peanut-butter chocolate cake were set in front of me at the moment, I don't think I'd want it. I'd toy with the idea in my head, but I wouldn't really have a physiological response to it.

This may seem like it's not that big of a deal, and in a lot of ways, it is not. It gets a little upsetting and/or dangerous, however, when I have hypoglycemia, just finished exercising (which I am still doing consistently) or when its meal-making time and I can't make up my mind as to what I want to begin to prepare.

I think I'm burnt out on calories, carbs, fat, and the rest.


2 comments:

Marvin said...

Can you get vegan frozen dinners, like at Whole Foods or Richards? Then you could just pop one in the microwave and not get stuck in indecisiveness.

Hang in there!

Lydia said...

Hmmm.. I sort of could, but I am growing to dislike the idea of packaged and processed foods (though I still eat them a few times a day in small amounts). Also, I lack the wealth required to dine on healthyish vegan meals...