Thursday, October 13, 2011

Diabetes, Pump, and the Need for Control

When people ask me whether or not my diabetes is under control, I never quite know what to say. I don't pass out once daily, or once a week, or even once every three months. I don't walk around with blood sugars in the 400s, but they're nowhere near ideal, either. So what do I say? Since the general populace has little idea of what diabetes really is, its true dangers, or what it actually entails, I can't explain adequately what being in control really means. So here's how my diabetes control tends to be: I'm not going to die today (at least probably not, especially from diabetes), but it is driving me closer to death (and faster!) than you.

I wish to take more control, and WHEN THE PUMP PEOPLE FINALLY CALL ME TO SET UP AN APPOINTMENT (I already got my pump in the mail) I can tack that on as a means of gaining more control. Until then... I am increasing my insulin usage and hope for the best (and no hypoglycemic episodes while scooting from place to place). I am tired of high blood sugar and fear that it will rob me of not only my physical health but also my mental clarity and ability (it's been known to decrease cognitive function, alas).

In other news, I am now a certified nurses' assistant.

1 comment:

Marvin the Martian said...

Hurrah!!! (for your CNA.) That's terrific! You have a lot to be proud of.

I like the minimalist, utilitarian approach: every day you wake up is a good day. Therefore, every day you don't die from diabetes is a day that your diabetes is "under control."

I'm looking forward to you becoming an official cyborg!