Saturday, August 13, 2011

Exasperation...


It looks so sweet, don't it?

It looks like it should work as prescribed, meaning that it should lower my lower by blood sugar within a half-hour or so.

But it doesn't.

I am in the middle of a test at the moment. I ate a HUGE lunch today (boyfriend's birthday lunch at a buffet!), so I took 4 units of the insulin to the left while eating from my new bottle. Then I came back home and slept. Four hours later, my glucose level was 249 (This was at 5 pm). Thinking that perhaps I hadn't taken enough with lunch, I took 2 units of Novolog and resolved to eat in about an hour. An hour later, my blood glucose was in the 260s! I don't believe my stomach should still be digesting carbohydrates, so I don't think my small intestine suddenly released another round of glucose into my veins. I think the Novolog- even the new, shiny, free Novolog- either isn't working or is not working as it should.

The only way for me to find out is to keep testing each hour without eating or exerting myself. In 30 minutes, I'll test again. Hopefully it will be normalized then. Even if it is, however, I don't want it. Rapid acting insulin is useful because it works quickly and prevents huge spikes. If it doesn't do that, it's nearly worthless. But I can't go back to Humalog- before I ceased to take that, it was causing full-body hives and elevated pulse... NOT GOOD.

If NovoLog doesn't work right, what in the world can I do, though? God help me.

1 comment:

Marvin said...

Many drugs actually have the opposite effect of that which was intended - this is particularly true in depressants and stimulants. I hope you can find something that works!