Wednesday, July 6, 2011

This is summer....

Somewhat-carefree hour long walks where the slightest of prayers are just barely and very unexpectedly answered. Wandering through the catacombs of a forest that, though ever changing, is forever abandoned and forever so grateful when I again traverse its trails and reminisce with it.

And, diabetes be darned, making myself a smoothie to combat the heat.

Speaking of with, I shall retell a somewhat funny tale:

My grandfather, now deceased because of heart disease, was a type 1 diabetic as I am. Once, while experiencing hypoglycemia, he was driving erratically: so much so, in fact, that he was pulled over. The policemen who pulled him over assumed that he was drunk, for he was incredibly unruly and kept insisting that they allow him to reach into his pocket, where, unknown to the policemen, there was a candy bar. For a long while they denied him that privilege. Eventually, he punched one of them and was arrested. Some while afterward it finally came to light that my grandfather was not drunk but only in desperate need of glucose. I do believe the charges against him for battering a police officer were dropped.

1 comment:

Marvin said...

Your grandfather was lucky they didn't hurt him.