Wednesday, June 29, 2011

That's My Ancestor!



Last night I watched (well, watched all but the last ten or so minutes of, because I fell asleep) the movie Luther.

I was quite happy with it. I really liked the sort of personality and drive they portrayed Martin Luther as having. It was much more... Spiritual.. Than the typical Lutheran church. I do not know yet if their portrayal of the unfurling of the Reformation is accurate, though; I need to look further into the matter. (All they teach you on Reformation day in the Lutheran Church is that Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the door of the church in Wittenburg, attempting to combat Catholic corruption, and that Martin Luther had spent most of his life in terror of God's wrath.)

Martin Luther, by the way, really is one of my ancestors! Somewhere along the way, he was my great great great great (etc.) grandfather or uncle or something. Too bad in reality the man lacked the Romanesque face and the slender frame... In fact, he looks decidedly German, and Porky Pig-ish. Mayhap if he had ate some more vegetable matter and less meat he would have been more slender and had less issues with constipation... :p




No comments: