Monday, October 25, 2010

After reading my first proper science fiction book in a long while...

I am struck with how delicate all life is- not just my own. All of life could be obliterated if, perchance, some fluke in space tore apart our Earth's atmosphere, or if our sun breathed its last far, far ahead of time; or if gravity ceased to operate, or if any other of these intricate, life-supporting mechanisms I have no true idea about malfunctioned. Not only is my life fragile- I could die if one simple mechanism in my body malfunctioned in just the "right" way, or if I happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time on the wrong bus, plane, car, street- but all life is fragile. There's some huge, hostile environment that this world- all my world- is suspended in...

And it just doesn't much seem like there is any worldly comfort quite worthwhile. Nay, there certainly isn't.

As an ending note, the book I just read after hearing ample allusions to the movie was... 2001: A Space Odyssey.

1 comment:

Marvin said...

Which did you like better... book, or movie? Or do you prefer "The Sentinel," the original short story upon which 2001 was based?

I like the movie, when HAL tries to discuss his misgivings about the mission with Bowman and Poole, and Poole asks, "You're working up our psych evals, aren't you?" and HAL says "Of course. Just a moment." And in that instant, he decides to kill them, because he can't tell them what the mission is about. That's when HAL creates the problem with the AE-35 antenna unit, so they can't communicate with Earth. And so it goes.