Thursday, June 11, 2009

In the Mouth of my Own Madness

Move over, reality,
A new perception is born
Deadly in its appeal.

I just finished reading Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five. I swear to you, I am just as the crazed Sutter Cane fans in In the Mouth of Madness, for nearly every twisted book I read- and the pleasant ones, too, but they don't drive me half-mad- causes me to feel just like the main character based on my own perception of that person. (By the way, if you have not seen it, In the Mouth of Madness is a brilliant movie.. I highly suggest it).

Today, I feel like Billy Pilgrim, traveling through time- back and forwards, past and the future and now. I feel as if I am waiting for my alien abduction- diverting myself from the huge event that shall soon take place. Autopiloting, going whereever God- or, likely, in this case, my crazed self- take me. Soon, I shall have that experience that changes everything.

Or so it feels.

1 comment:

Marvin said...

LOL, Schlachthof Funf ist sehr gut. I like "Sirens of Titan" and "Cat's Cradle" and "Mother Night" more, though. I thought S-5 was a lesser work, kind of like "Stranger in a Strange Land" was for Robert Heinlein. It made him famous, but it sucked compared to his later works. The movie of S-5 tries but fails to capture the weirdness of the book.

I will have to look at In The Mouth of Madness.

Do you have a life-changing event planned, or are you just waiting for one to occur? Because, of course, every day is a life-changing event. Each day changes you in small ways, which amount to a huge effect later.